At Superior Foot & Ankle Care our foot and ankle surgeons, Dr. Victoria Foley and Dr. Constance Omelas, want to be your partners in podiatric care. Being partners means working together to provide you with the best foot health care possible. Your visit to us can be much more fruitful and your treatment faster and more effective if you help us from your end. Here are 5 ways that you can assist us in making sure you get a prompt diagnosis and effective treatment plan:
- Pinpoint the problem. If you are experiencing pain or discomfort in your feet or ankles do a little self-sleuthing to gather as much information as possible. Ask yourself these questions: how would I describe the pain (sharp, aching, dull)? How long have I had this pain? Where exactly on my foot does it hurt? Did the condition come on suddenly or gradually? What increases the discomfort (exercise, cold weather)? Have you ever had this pain before? If yes, what treatments have you had previously? Take notes if it’s easier to remember. The more specifics you can give us the faster and more accurate a diagnosis you are likely to receive.
- Come in when it hurts. If your problem is constant (such as an ingrown toenail or athlete’s foot) or you’ve injured your foot, this tip doesn’t apply. But if you have pain that comes and goes, try to replicate the situations when pain occurs just before your appointment so we can examine you when you have symptoms.
- Don’t forget your shoes. If you know your foot is worse after wearing certain shoes bring them in so we can figure out the correlation. Otherwise, wear or bring the shoes you use most often.
- Follow the treatment plan! This may seem obvious but if you don’t follow our instructions–wearing a brace, staying off your feet, taking medication, going to physical therapy—it will be difficult to know if the diagnosis is correct or if your condition is improving.
- Talk to us. If there are issues after your appointment or you have questions, contact our Long Beach office by calling: 562-420-9800. If the medication is upsetting your stomach, you are confused about something the foot doctor told you to do or you have a new symptom you’re concerned about, we want to hear from you.
Together, we can ensure that your feet stay healthy and take you where you want to go for many years to come.