Are you taking your toes for granted? At Superior Foot & Ankle Care Center we find many patients do. Your toes help you maintain your balance and enable you to push off when your walk. If toes hurt or become deformed it can lead to serious disability. Below are 5 simple exercises that will keep toes flexible and help ease foot pain for conditions such as hammertoe, bunions, toe cramps, plantar fasciitis and more:
- Big Toe Pulls: In a seated position, place feet next to each other and place a thick rubber band around the two big toes. Pull them apart, moving each toe toward the little toes. Hold the position for 5 seconds. Repeat 10 times.
- Put a Cork in It: Take small corks and place them between each of your toes on one foot. Squeeze toes together and hold for 5 seconds. Do 10 repetitions with each foot.
- Marble Pick-Up: Sitting in a chair spread 20 marbles on the floor in front of you. Pick up each marble, one at a time, with the toes of one of your feet and deposit them in a bowl. After you pick up all 20 marbles, spread them back on the floor and pick up with the other foot.
- Towel Curls: While sitting, spread towel on the floor in front of you. Using the toes on both your feet pick up the towel by curling it toward you. Repeat 5 times. Relax toes and rest a few seconds between repetitions.
- Golf Ball Massage: When you’ve finished the above exercises, reward your feet by place a golf ball on the floor and rolling it under each forefoot for 2-3 minutes.
Of course toe exercises are not a cure or solution to chronic foot pain. If you are experiencing discomfort in your feet or toes, make an appointment at our Long Beach office so that our foot doctors, Dr. Victoria Foley and Dr. Constance Omelas can examine your feet and arrive at a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment for your foot or toe pain. Contact us by calling: 562-420-9800.