Fall sports practices are in the works and for children and teens that have spent the summer on the couch with a phone or video controller glued to their hands, it can be a shock to their feet to begin a strenuous sports routine. Below are 5 ways we at Superior Foot & Ankle Care Center recommend to ease the transition and protect young feet:
- Start working out. Have your child contact their coach for some suggested pre-season warm-ups. Stress fractures, Achilles tendonitis and other overuse injuries are common when patients overdo physical activity after being a couch potato for a couple of months.
- Find active ways to enjoy family fun. There’s still time for family bike rides, hikes, rollerblading and other physical activities. Not only will this help everyone get in better shape, it’s a great way to enjoy some time together before the hectic fall schedules kick in.
- Read up on a favorite athlete. Who is your child’s sports idol? Encourage them to look up interviews and information about how he or she trains during the offseason. It may give your child the incentive and inspiration necessary to get started.
- Buy new shoes. If your child is starting a sport it’s a good idea to get athletic shoes designed to support their feet for the activity they will be doing. Go to a professional fitness shoe store to get fitted and learn about the best options for your child’s foot. If your child is returning to a sport, check to see that their shoes fit and that there is no evidence of excessive wear. Worn soles, stretched out heel counters and creased uppers are all signs that it’s time to replace the shoes. Wearing shoes that are stretched out or falling apart invites injuries.
- Get a podiatric checkup. This is particularly important if your child has had an ankle sprain, fracture or other sports injury in the past. Our podiatrists, Victoria Foley and Dr. Constance Omelas will examine your child’s foot to ensure that the injury is completely healed. To make an appointment at our Long Beach office, call: (562) 420-9800.