January is a time for making a fresh start and resolving to make positive changes. At Superior Foot & Ankle Care, we’d like to encourage our Los Angeles County patients to take some steps to ensure healthier feet and ankles in 2021. Below are some easy tips to implement:
- Commit to a Basic Hygiene Regimen—Did you know that simply washing your feet daily with soap and water and drying them thoroughly can significantly reduce your risk of fungal infections? If you add a dusting of a foot or fungal powder in the morning and a rich moisturizer at night before bed, you’ve got a fast and effective foot care plan.
- Check Your Feet for Changes—It’s easy enough while you’re cleaning your feet to look them over for any symptoms that may signal a developing problem. Check for toes that appear to be moving out of place, bruises, swelling, wounds that are slow to heal, discoloration of skin or nails, and any growths or lumps. If you notice something concerning, contact our Long Beach office by calling: (562) 420-9800 to make an appointment with our podiatrists, Victoria M. Foley and Dr. Constance Ornelas, to examine your feet and diagnose any problems.
- Keep Up with Nail Care—Trim toenails regularly and file any rough edges to prevent them from getting caught and tearing. Always cut nails straight across and be careful not to make them too short or they will be in danger of becoming ingrown.
- Choose Shoes Wisely—One of the single biggest steps you can take to prevent many common foot disorders is wearing good shoes. Look for styles that are made of soft, flexible material and have roomy toe boxes. Good arch support and a cushioned insole are also important. Limit time spent in high heels as these can harm your feet and cause bunions, hammertoes, and other deformities.
- Make Healthy Lifestyle Choices—Regular exercise, a healthy diet, and getting enough sleep all impact the condition of your feet as well as the rest of your body. Don’t try to change everything at once. Small changes that you can sustain will have big payoffs in the New Year!
If you have questions about the care of your feet, don’t hesitate to contact us.